These heart-in-the-middle cupcakes are so cute and are easy to make! Change the center shape for lots of different holidays and celebrations.
Boxed cake mix (I used this cake mix)
3 Large Eggs
1/2 cup melted butter (not margarine)
1 cup of water
1. Preheat over to 350°. Line muffin or cupcake pan with 18 cupcake liner cups.
2. In a large bowl, add cake mix, eggs, melted butter and water. Mix on low for one minute until ingredients are combined and then switch to high for approximately one minute until batter is thick and creamy.
3. Spoon approximately 1/4 of the batter into another bowl. Add red or pink food coloring and mix in thoroughly.
4. Grease the sides and bottom of a small cake or casserole pan. Pour the colored batter in. Keep in mind that you’ll want it to be a good thickness after baking for the heart shape.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350°. Once the cake is cooked enough to be firm, take it out. It will be cooked more inside the cupcake so don’t overbake it.
6. Cool the cake in the fridge or freezer. I left mine in the freezer for an hour to make sure it was cold enough and firm enough to hold its shape in the batter.
7. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter like this, cut as many shapes as you can from the colored cake. Put the hearts back into the fridge or freezer while you prepare the cupcake batter.
8. Spoon plain batter into the 18 cupcake liners. Once you have about 1/3 of each cup filled up, remove the hearts from the fridge and place one heart in each cupcake liner, standing the heart up.
9. Carefully spoon the remaining batter around and over the hearts (to prevent the hearts from being pushed up out of the batter as it rises). * Turn all of the hearts one way in the cupcakes so you will remember which way they face inside the cupcakes after baking.
10. Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes at 350° then remove from the oven to cool.
11. Once the cupcakes have cooled, remove them carefully from the pan, taking care to face the cupcakes in the same direction so you remember how the hearts are turned. Frost or decorate the cupcakes so it’s clear which side is the front. That way when you enjoy your cupcakes, you’ll be sure to see the heart shape clearly.
Hope you love them as much as we do! If you love the Heart in the Middle Cupcakes, be sure to try the Cookies & Cream Cupcakes and Strawberry Filled Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting too!
Let me know if you make them – I’d love to see your pics! 🙂