I have joked for years about my 8 hairs, referring to my thin, fine hair. It wasn’t actually funny then, and it’s even less funny now that my hair seems to be gradually getting thinner.
As I’ve learned through the years, there are a lot of different ways to deal with thinning hair. I have tried them all – some that worked well and some that didn’t. Here are the top ten styling tips I use for my fine, thinning hair.
10 Great Styling Tips for Thinning Hair
1. Use Women’s ROGAINE® Foam. Styling tips and tricks are helpful, but none of them beat growing more hair. (Learn more about why I’m using Women’s ROGAINE® below!)
2. Don’t Just Brush: Use a detangling brush or a large-tooth comb to carefully style hair.
3. Condition: Use good quality conditioner on the ends of hair. Avoid the roots because it will weigh hair down.
4. Avoid Tangles: Comb through hair before you get into the shower and wash hair gently without creating more tangles. Use a leave-in detangler for tangles you can’t easily get out.
5. Stop the Ponytail: Sleep with your hair in a loose braid. One of our favorite tips from
6. Sleep on Satin: Your hair will slide easily over a satin pillowcase, so there will be fewer tangles and less breakage from friction at night.
7. The Right Syle: Talk with your stylist about your concerns and find a hairstyle that works for your hair and face.
8. Use Product: There are a lot of products specifically created for fine, thin hair. Use a thickening agent, mousse or root-boosting product to help make your hair look fuller.
9. Dry Shampoo: It can be more obvious when thin hair becomes oily, so be sure to always have dry shampoo on hand. You can sprinkle some on your fingertips and work into the roots or find a dry shampoo that works with your hair color to spray on. The dry shampoo not only makes your hair look and smell fresh and clean, but it also gives a boost to roots, making your hair look a little thicker.
10. Boost the Hair: Blow dry your hair upside down and/or tease small sections of hair to make your hair look fuller.
While I was putting my list together, I got the chance to chat with celebrity stylist and Women’s ROGAINE® Brand Ambassador, Jill Crosby, to get more information on how to deal with thinning hair. Here is what I learned from celebrity stylist and Women’s ROGAINE® Brand Ambassador, Jill Crosby:
In addition to using Women’s ROGAINE®, is there anything else I can do to help prevent hair loss or to encourage hair growth?
In addition to using Women’s Rogaine Foam there are many things you can do to assist in your well-being and hair health. Nutrition plays a huge roll in total body health, reducing stress, and getting plenty of exercise all make a big difference in how your body regains balance including hair. That said, if you have hereditary hair loss Women’s Rogaine Foam is definitely your best bet in terms of a treatment that will help regrow hair.
I was told that wearing hair in a ponytail at night helps hair from being pulled on and breaking. But when I wear a ponytail, it seems to break hair off even more. Is there a best way to wear thinning hair at night to prevent additional hair loss?
NO! Whoever told you ponytail should be put on a pony and ridden out of Dodge! Wear a soft braid with a non-elastic holder (something soft ) at night to keep hair protected from bed head wear and tear.
We hear a lot about men losing their hair, but many people don’t realize that female Hereditary Hair Loss is a normal part of aging too. Up to 42% of women notice some hair loss during their lifetime with 76% of them noticing it after the age of 30. Contrary to common belief, stress is not the leading cause of hair loss in women. In fact, genetics or Hereditary Female Pattern Baldness accounts for 90% of cases and can come from either the mother’s or father’s side of the family.
Because thinning hair can worsen without treatment and lead to women losing up to one-sixth of their hair density in only ten years, it’s important for me to get treatment. I’ve started using Women’s ROGAINE® and am excited about what the treatment might be able to do for me.
I use the foam once daily (morning or evening) on my dry or towel-dried hair. It doesn’t weigh my hair down, look greasy or cause any build up at all so I just style it normally and go.
Women’s ROGAINE® foam can be used at the early signs of thinning, as part of a proactive anti-aging regimen. When it’s applied directly to the scalp once a day, every day, most women will start regrowing fuller, thicker hair in as little as 12 weeks. The new growth can be up to 48% thicker than before based on mean hair strand diameter. That’s amazing!
Unlike cosmetic thickeners that just mask the problem, Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol helps prevent additional thinning by regrowing fuller, thicker hair. The brand is the #1 dermatologist and #1 stylist-recommended brand for hair regrowth, with over 25 years of clinical trials and results.
Want to try Women’s ROGAINE® Foam for yourself? Get coupons, rebates and learn more about the money back guarantee and you could be on your way to regrowing fuller, thicker hair in as little as 12 weeks!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.