Enjoy this 4th of July cookies recipe for your Independence Day celebration!
4th of July Cookies Recipe
- 6 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar (white granulated)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, almond or desired flavoring
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Continue to mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours
- Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3″ cookies.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, decorate with different colors of icing. I use glaze icing (confectioner’s sugar, just enough light corn syrup to be able to stir, clear vanilla) and separate it into lots of different bowls. Make 2 bowls for each color of icing you want. Leave the glaze icing thick for outlining in one bowl (for each color) and add a a few drops of water to the icing to make it runnier for filling in your designs in the other bowl (for each color).
Get additional icing decorating tips on our Spring Cookies Recipe post!