It’s that time of year. School is almost out, vacations are being planned and everyone is ready to fire up the grill for summer cook-outs.
We have a few cook-outs and potlucks that we go to every summer, so I’m already thinking ahead and planning what I might take to each. For the 4th of July, I wanted to take an easy dessert that tastes great and is patriotic.
With Memorial Day coming up next week, it was the perfect time to practice my dessert and I love how it turned out. It’s easy and delicious and will be perfect at your Memorial Day and Independence Day celebrations this year.
American Flag Cookie Cake Recipe
Sugar Cookie Mix or Prepared Dough
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
Twizzlers Twists (1 pkg red)
Twizzlers Twists Pull and Peel (1 pkg red, white, blue)
1. Prepare sugar cookie mix or dough and roll out or shape into a large rectangle. Bake as instructed per recipe, adding additional time as needed to properly bake the center of the cookie.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the powdered sugar.
3. Once the cookie has completely cooled, move it to a serving plate and top with the cream cheese mixture. Smooth the mixture out to the edges of the cookie.
4. Create the red stripes of the American flag with red Twizzlers Twists candy, leaving the top left corner of the cake open for the “stars”.
5. Unroll several pieces of Twizzlers Twists Peel and Pull candy, separating the colors strings from each other. Collect 5 or 6 white strands and one white strand, then place them together with the blue pieces surrounding the white. Squeeze or twist the pieces so that they stick together, then lay the roll down onto a cutting board. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice the candy roll into small pieces.
6. Place the blue and white pieces across the top left corner of the flag to represent the stars of our flag.
7. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.