Instead of your kids passing out candy this Valentine’s Day, how about fun popcorn favors? It’s super easy to make your own flavored gourmet popcorn in pink and red and then wrap in a cute box or bag! No need to pay for pricey gourmet popcorn from a specialty shop – make your own!
* To see more detailed directions with step-by-step photos, read about Gourmet Popcorn here.
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (3 oz) package fruit flavored gelatin mix – I use regular Jello (not sugar-free)
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- additional flavoring and color if desired
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Generously butter a large saucepan or roasting pan and spread popped popcorn throughout pan. In saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, sugar, gelatin, corn syrup and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda and any additional flavoring or colors.
- Mixture will become frothy at first. Stir quickly to prevent excess cooling.
- Pour mixture evenly over popcorn, then fold into popcorn until coated.
- Bake popcorn in the oven for 30 minutes at 250 degrees, stirring every 10 minutes. This will dry the coating and make the popcorn crispy. For chewier popcorn, only bake for a few minutes to help dry the coating.
- Make gourmet popcorn in several different colors for a more festive look when serving. Because the candy coating needs to be hot when poured over the popcorn, it doesn’t work well to make a huge batch and then divide it up into different flavors/colors because it will cool too much. You should plan to make separate batches for each gelatin flavor.
- Serve in cute dishes or popcorn boxes.
- Mix several flavors together in small bags for party favors, fun snacks or Halloween treats.
- Store in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place.