Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars Recipe
Peanut Butter Bars Ingredients
1 C. butter, softened to room temperature
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 C. oatmeal
2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 C. creamy peanut butter (divided)
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
1/2 C. butter, softened to room temperature
1/4 C. milk
1 ts. vanilla extract
3 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a large 1″ deep cookie/baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. My baking sheet was approximately 18″x13″.
2. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of peanut butter with the 1 cup of softened butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and 2 eggs, mixing well.
3. Slowly add in the dry ingredients: flour, oatmeal and baking soda, mixing well.
4. Pour the peanut butter cookie mixture over the baking sheet and spread out evenly. I used my hands to gently spread and flatten the dough as needed to fill the entire sheet.
5. Bake the cookie bars for about 15-17 minutes. The cookies will turn a light golden brown color.
6. Remove the bars from the oven and scoop the other 1 1/2 cups of creamy peanut butter onto the hot cookies. I dropped several spoonfuls at a time over the cookies and allowed it to begin melting from the heat. As it melts, gently spread it out over the top of the bars. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the peanut butter to set.
7. For the frosting, cream together the softened butter, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the frosting has reached your desired consistency.
8. Gently spread the chocolate frosting out on top of the peanut butter cookie bars.
9. Let the frosting set up and then cut evenly into squares and serve with a large glass of cold milk.