We’re just getting back into the swing of the school year in our house. That means starting to have routines before and after school to help us get through the days more easily.
Many afternoons, we have a lot of activities after school. There are two carpools, then an hour or more of homework and after-school clubs, sports or Girl Scouts meetings. I try to work through the afternoons when I can, preparing dinner ahead of time during the breaks I get through the afternoon. Washing and chopping veggies for a salad or a stew, making the casserole early and baking later, etc.
Since I don’t usually have a lot of time to put the dinner together, I’ve come to depend on some family favorites that I can easily make during our busier days. The kids all love pasta, and since it’s easy and fast to make and can be prepared in lots of great, healthy ways, it’s definitely a popular dinner choice.
The kids all have their own favorite pasta dishes, like Parmesan Noodles, Parma Rosa and Spaghetti with homemade sauce. We like to rotate through those every few weeks and try new recipes in between them. There are so many amazing pasta recipes; we never run out of new ones to try!
This week we made a fun recipe that everyone loved – Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Noodles.
Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Noodles
1 lb. of your favorite pasta
4 heads of garlic
Drizzle olive oil
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
Pinchful of oregano leaves
Salt and pepper
Additional shaved parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Cook pasta noodles as directed on the package.
2. Preheat oven to 400.
3. Cut off the tops of the garlic heads and place them in a small baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, and place a small piece of foil over the top, so the tops don’t burn.
4. Roast for 20-25 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes.
5. Squeeze the roasted garlic into a small bowl or chopper/food processor. Add another drizzle of olive oil, the parmesan cheese, oregano leaves, salt and pepper and herbs.
6. Once the noodles are cooked and drained, add the mixture and toss together.
7. Sprinkle shaved parmesan cheese on top if desired.
The recipe for the Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Noodles came from Pasta Fits, a nutrition and culinary resource sponsored by the National Pasta Association. There are lots of great recipes, contests, promotions and cooking tips on the website to help you plan great pasta meals for your family.
Pasta is a budget friendly option and is versatile enough to please all tastes and all occasions. It’s great for pairing with fiber-filled veggies and beans, heart-healthy fish, antioxidant-rich tomato sauce and protein-filled poultry and lean meats. Plus, complex carbs like pasta help provide the optimum “fuel” to power your muscles and brain.
Pasta is the perfect meal for a busy lifestyle. It’s quick, easy and a wholesome meals choice for the ones we love.
Get great recipes and learn more from Pasta Fits: