This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Food Lion. All opinions are 100% mine.
Summertime is in full swing as is the summer travel season. According to AAA, tens of thousands of families take to the streets every weekend during the summer for vacations to visit family, friends, amusement parks, beaches, lakes, and more. If you are a parent, you know that one of the most difficult parts of traveling with a toddler is the time spent in the car. “Boredom” takes on a whole new meaning when you are strapped in to a car seat, and chances are your little one does not fully understand WHY he or she has to be in the car quite so long! Here are some tips for keeping your little one entertained in the car – for both their happiness and your own!
1. An arsenal of snacks. I say arsenal because in this scenario, it is the more the merrier. You can pack baggies full of all of their finger-food favorites – from salty to sweet to savory. We pack snacks that our little one can hold on her own, foods to keep her happy if we have to wait at a restaurant on the road, and favorite foods that we might not be able to find while traveling in unfamiliar areas.
Food Lion has a huge selection of snacks that are perfect for road trips – including package treats, the ingredients for easy sandwiches and lunches in the car, cooler snacks and drinks, and more!
It’s always better to overpack when it comes to toddlers and traveling, especially if your toddler can be picky. We make a trip to our local Food Lion to stock up on everything we need for family trips – from food to sunscreen and everything in between – so it’s the perfect place to stock up on snacks for the kids to enjoy on the trip.
2. Fun and soothing music. While you may be wanting to rock out to the latest Drake track, your toddler probably needs something a little less stimulating. You can download great kids tunes to your smartphone or iPod, or check out child-friendly stations on satellite radio. If you can stand it, there are also some great music-making apps that would let your little one “play” piano, guitar, banjo, and more. We have a children’s toy radio that our little one can squeeze and push to play music that she loves to listen to on road trips.
3. Interactive games. Long road trips are tough for adults, too, so take games that you and your toddler can play together. Depending on your child’s age, you could take games like Go Fish, Old Maid, or War. Other fun activities you can do together are the Letter Game, where you go through the alphabet using road signs; designing farm animals using pipe cleaners; or searching for objects in Eye Spy-type books. Our Food Lion store has fun game and activity books in the school/office supplies aisle so we love to check for new items when we stock up on snacks for upcoming trips.
3. Super comfy clothes. Making sure your kiddo is as comfortable as possible will go a long way toward keeping them happy. Stiff, itchy clothing will irritate even the most content child (and adult!) Also, make sure he or she is not too hot or too cold. Be sure to have plenty of blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, and all of their favorite toys. While it may irritate you to pack all of these things, it is better to have a little extra “stuff” to avoid a meltdown over a missing toy.
5. Solo play games. Coloring books, sticker books, and other games and activities that your toddler can play quietly by herself are also a good idea to tote along. If you are ok with your child getting some screen time, download their favorite movies to your tablet or smartphone to watch in the back seat. We love to grab a coloring or easy activity book from Food Lion when we shop for road trip food. It’s nice to have quiet activities that can occupy our children for a while.
With proper planning and patience, a road trip with your toddler can be a fun part of your family vacation. Remember to enjoy the process and stop as often as you need to in order for your little one to explore and burn off cooped-up energy from the car. If you feel yourself or your toddler getting stressed, use one of these five tips to try to relax and have fun, or stop and walk around for a little while. You might be surprised just how much fun you can have!
To make sure you’re ready for a long trip, head to your local Food Lion to stock up. You’ll find everything you need for family summer road tips at Food Lion for a really great price. Our local store is my first stop for all of our grocery needs – it’s spacious, clean, stocked with everything I love, and full of friendly and helpful employees. We’ve been shopping at Food Lion for many years and it really feels like an important part of our community.
Be sure to check the Weekly deals for your cookout shopping trip! Food Lion offers easy, fresh and affordable foods that are perfect for nourishing your family. Save time and money when you use Online Shopping with pick up or delivery. Want great recipes? Find awesome Food Lion Recipes for every occasion.
Good tips to keep them occupied, making it easier for all passengers.
Marisela Zuniga says
These are great tips, thank you for sharing
Brandon Sparks says
Thanks for these great tips. They are going to help more than you know..