I love baking. Cookies, cupcakes, cakes and more. Whether it’s for a special occasion to share with friends or just a fun dessert for the family, baking is something I’ve loved doing for as long as I can remember.
So I was more than happy to try a new fun cupcake recipe – Blue Velvet Cupcakes!
Blue Velvet Cupcakes with Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1 Tbsp dark blue food coloring
1 tiny dab of violet gel food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a cupcake tin with non-stick spray or insert cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar. Whisk vigorously until well combined and smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until smooth.
3. Spoon the batter into the cupcake tin, filling each hold about 3/4 full. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until the tops spring back when pressed on lightly with your fingertip and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes. Then remove them from the pan to cool completely.
5. For the frosting, in a large bowl, mix the butter with an electric mixer for about 20 seconds. Add the confectioners sugar and salt and beat at low, then medium to incorporate the sugar. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and heavy cream, then beat on medium speed until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Frost the cupcakes once they are completely cooled.
(Makes 16-20 cupcakes)
If you love fun and unique cupcake recipes, here are some of our favorites: