Even though Memorial Day is the “official” kick off to summer, it sure feels like it is already summer here in North Carolina… I could not be more excited. I am not a big fan of the cold weather and staying inside, so as soon as the temperatures warm up I am ready to start spending my days outside enjoying the warm summer air! One of my favorite things to do this time of year is entertaining all of our loved ones by hosting big cookouts with all of our family and friends. Nothing says summertime like the smell of our favorite foods – like our Grilled Chicken Kabobs – cooking on the grill!
This summer is going to be even more fun because we just got an amazing new grill. Now, I have had little tabletop grills before, but never a full sized grill – this thing is incredible!
If you love chicken on the grill, this recipe is for you! It’s easy to make with common ingredients you probably have at home. Put everything together and pop on the grill for a delicious meal the entire family will love.
To really put my new grill to the test I threw a fun family gathering where I made Sweet & Sour Shrimp Kabobs and Grilled Honey Chicken Kabobs. I love having the top rack on the grill letting me cook foods at different temperatures so that everything was ready at the same time! There is even an attachment that lets me turn it into a rotisserie – I can’t wait to try that!
I know many of you will be grilling this summer, so I wanted to share my new favorite recipe:
Grilled Chicken Kabobs Recipe
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch cubes
1 clove garlic
1 large red onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
½ fresh pineapple, cut into 2 inch pieces
metal skewers (or wooden skewers soaked in water)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Set aside a small amount of marinade for brushing onto the kabobs while they grill.
2. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours. (I marinated mine overnight)
3. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
4. Remove the chicken and vegetables from the marinade, then thread the chicken and veggies onto the skewers.
5. Lightly oil the grill then place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 6-8 minutes per side, marinating often. Cook until chicken juices run clear, then remove from heat.