It’s almost that time of year! Love is in the air and it’s the perfect time to show others that you care. This Valentine’s Day Cookie Recipe is a wonderful way to celebrate the occasion. Make several batches to share with your child’s classmates or pack a small gift box of cookies for that special someone. Enjoy!
Valentine’s Day Cookies – Recipe
5 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 C soft unsalted butter
2 C granulated sugar
2 egg whites
1 C powder sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Pink gel food coloring
Cookie Dough Directions:
– Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
– Add all 4 eggs at one time…Continue to mix.
– Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
– Sift the four, baking powder, and salt together.
– Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
– Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
– Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
– Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight until the dough is firm.
Cookie Baking Directions:
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
– Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
– Put flour out on the cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and (if needed) work some flour into the batter.
– Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
– Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
– Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
– Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
– Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely.
(About 10 minutes).
-Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
-If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar. When this sugar is added stir to mix well.
-Divide the icing into two bowls.
-The first bowl of icing stays white.
-The second bowl of icing add several drops of pink food coloring mixing well to make sure the color is blended throughout the entire bowl of icing.*
-Spoon each color of icing into individual frosting bags with a #5 tips. Twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip.
NOTE: * Once you have the colors you like, divide some of each color into thicker icing for outlines and thinner (with a few drops of water stirred in) for flooding the cookie sections.
-Outline the heart with the pink icing.
-Allow the outlining to dry for 30 seconds before filling in the body with the thinner icing.*
-Outline the two parts of the arrow with the white icing. Let the outlining to dry for at least 30 seconds before filling each section of the cookie with the white thinner icing.
-Following the designs on the cookies, use the opposite color of the piped icing to add the decorations like outlines and details.
-Use your imagination to add decoration to each cookie.
-Allow for the cookies to dry for 5-10 hours.
Want other fun Valentine’s Day goodies? You’ll love these: